Green Resource Center for Alabama
Executive Director Job Description
The Green Resource Center for Alabama, a Birmingham-based nonprofit, is seeking an Executive Director to manage this newly formed organization and assist in the development of funding for the organization.
The mission of the Green Resource Center for Alabama (GRCA) is to share wise social, economic and environmental practices - inspiring people to action!
The candidate must have exceptional interpersonal, management and communication skills with a proven history of fund-raising, grant-writing and foundation relations experience. It will be considered preferable to have experience with developing a startup organization. Nonprofit experience with a background in human resources, financial and volunteer management will be considered a plus. Candidates must be self-motivated, able to work independently, and show creativity and initiative in creating new programs for the organization.
1. Provide fundraising leadership and drive the development of new funding sources.
2. Oversee a grant-seeking program, including grant maker identification, cultivation, grant writing and grant reporting.
3. Foster relationships with current and past funders to the organization.
4. Oversee and ensure all development record-keeping.
Marketing and Community Relations
1. Increase the visibility, public perception and public awareness of all aspects of GRCA’s mission, goals, activities and achievements.
2. Maintain and cultivate cooperative relationships with the community; maintain an interest in local civic affairs and foster participation when appropriate.
3. Serve as an effective spokesperson for the organization and represent GRCA in a broad range of public and community settings.
4. Maintain communication with donors, members, volunteers, community leaders and other appropriate individuals, organizations, and government officials.
5. Oversee website management and update information on a regular basis
Administrative and Human Resource Management
1. Supervise the organization’s staff and operations.
2. Develop an annual budget in conjunction with the Board Treasurer and Finance Committee for review and approval by the Board of Directors in advance of each fiscal year.
3. Oversee the organization’s accounting functions including systems for recording revenue and expenses; managing funds awarded through grants; generation and review of monthly income statements; preparation of annual tax return and ensure that the agency operates within budget.
4. Oversee the agency’s volunteer program.
5. Oversee the agency’s membership program.
6. Provide support to board committees.
7. Provide regular reports to the Board of Directors and GRCA President to assure that the board is fully informed on the condition of the organization.
8. Prepare goals and objectives for the organization with the Board of Directors.
9. Develop job descriptions for needed staff with the HR Committee.
10. Other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
Executive Director will be initially responsible for raising dollars to fund his/her own salary as well as securing program and project dollars. Once stable funding sources for GRCA are secured, and money is deemed available for traditional salary, a specific amount will be negotiated between the GRCA board and the Executive Director. Hours are negotiable. Employee benefits may be added in the future as funding allows.
How to Apply:
Interested Applicants should send a resume, cover letter and three references no later than September 30, 2009 to:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail to
Green Resource Center for Alabama –ED Search
ATTN: Scott Walton
2564 18th Street South
Homewood, AL 35209
No phone calls please.